Sending unit / sending wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sending unit / sending wire

problem solved, but thought i would post this for informational purposes only:

recently, i was getting bad sending unit data, and of course assumed the sending unit was the problem---- i had a new one on hand / available, so went ahead and changed it. Was still getting bad data, so i started troubleshooting for a ground issue. (usually the problem for most boat wiring issues, but not always). no issue with the ground.

started trouble shooting the sending wire itself (cut into it) , and it rang out for continuity. so it seemed there was no issue with wiring.

however, as i tested further, i could get a good continuity test (due to the fact that i was probing freshly cut wire), but the wire had corrosion creeping inside the insulating jacket, and was prohibiting a good clean ohms reading. I am not sure i would have discovered this otherwise, but i happened to cut out a portion that looked suspect, and tested that 18" of wire, and that was the problem.

I may not have easily discovered this problem because the testing was hit and miss. I believe this was due to the fact that some times i was getting good copper contact, and other times the alligator clips maybe did not bite into good clean copper.

have since completely replaced the sending unit wire.

Good info, I had the same issue with a poor ground happen exactly like that. I have more recently with our 32 have a bad float switch that drove me crazy. I did an Ohms test on the float and it performed perfect. After an hr in the bilge I ended up trying my aft bilge float in the forward bilge circuit, it worked as it should. Still do this day don't know why the Ohms test said it was good but it really was not.
    "Glorys Days"

32 Reg
    26 Reg FS (sold)
    17 sea pro sv

Comment

Originally posted by freestyle0930 View Post
      Good info, I had the same issue with a poor ground happen exactly like that. I have more recently with our 32 have a bad float switch that drove me crazy. I did an Ohms test on the float and it performed perfect. After an hr in the bilge I ended up trying my aft bilge float in the forward bilge circuit, it worked as it should. Still do this day don't know why the Ohms test said it was good but it really was not.
      my guess is that when you tried the other float, you probably made a better connection, and it worked... (just a guess)... i have changed my final connection to the float to deutsch connectors, so the float can be unplugged, and a new one / different float can be plugged in. This speeds up the testing process / swapping process.

Comment

Working...
      X