No announcement yet.

28FS, 2012 regulator Twin 300F Yamaha.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28FS, 2012 regulator Twin 300F Yamaha.

Hello,

Recently bought the boat. Everything went well on inspection and sea trial. I did maintenance in both motors before continue fishing on it. Suddenly one of my lower unit went blank. 3 hours laters of pushing the boat with 1 motors to shore, went blank as well. Pull both lower unit out today, both are trash. Don't know the reason, I'm not expert neither mechanic. Im putting 2 new lower unit on my boat and fixing the old one just to have spare.

What could be possible issue ? Wrong propellers ? It seem like they had previous work before, but last owner denied. Both were recently painted as well, and were peeling off after 2 uses. Trying to figure out what would have been the issue since I dont want my new LU to go bad as well...

Boat currently have Quicksilver Q4 propeller. I get 1.3mph running at 4000 rpm 33-36knts. Although they never go above 5200rpm.

Love the boat, but don't wanna continue to deal with LU problems.

thanks,

Are the motors the same year as the boat? Early 2000's Yammies had a major issue with corrosion in the midsection, but I think that caused powerhead issues, not lower units...Just throwing that out there.

Comment

Originally posted by notdeankane View Post
      Are the motors the same year as the boat? Early 2000's Yammies had a major issue with corrosion in the midsection, but I think that caused powerhead issues, not lower units...Just throwing that out there.

engines are 2010. I recently saw a recall these had in 2013 about the prop shaft seals. Anyways I just ordered 2 brand new Lower Unit. Will now get the right props as well.

Comment

Did the maintenance performed on the motors happen to include lower unit gear oil change? If so did everything look normal, not milky, not peppered with metal flakes coming out? Was there gear oil in the units when they blew up, how did that look? Gear oil should be a good indication of what happen.

The fact that they were repainted and paint was peeling off, indicates that they were either damaged and rebuilt at some point or aftermarket lowers.

Comment

5200 rpm seems low as it is.
          "Glorys Days"

32 Reg
          26 Reg FS (sold)
          17 sea pro sv

Comment

Originally posted by danedecks View Post
            Did the maintenance performed on the motors happen to include lower unit gear oil change? If so did everything look normal, not milky, not peppered with metal flakes coming out? Was there gear oil in the units when they blew up, how did that look? Gear oil should be a good indication of what happen.

The fact that they were repainted and paint was peeling off, indicates that they were either damaged and rebuilt at some point or aftermarket lowers.
            Maintenance was done "50 hours prior getting on my hands" and I had it done when it was on my hands. It everything was fine. Im sure that changes was not done 50 hours before and was done right before my mechanics inspection and seatrial. And yes, the paint was a crappy job and made me think of a possible bad repair was done. Anyways I just wanna know if there were any issues. I just got new Lower units, and will put different props as I saw online that those propellers may be causing issue. Im very strict with maintenance, so I don't want to stay stranded in the ocean.

Comment

5200 rpm’s is too low. Wrong size props. If those lowers were painted and peeling than previous owner is lying. Was there an owner before him? Yamaha isn’t putting lowers on brand new motors that already had to be repainted. Did you replace with Yamaha lowers or aftermarket?
              2000 232 Gradywhite Gulfstream
              Twin 150 HPDI'S (Lost to Sandy)

sigpic
              "Doubled Up"
              2004 23 Classic
              Twin F150's (sold)

Comment

Working...
              X