RedRegulatorForums  

Go Back   RedRegulatorForums > Model Specfic Tricks/Modifications

Old 01-18-2016, 08:52 PM
Enthusiast

Panel looks sweet

Soaking in all these updates so I can use them on my 95 when the time comes
Old 01-20-2016, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast

Where did you find a couple HPDIs that were good enough to reinstall on your boat? How did you figure they will hold up?
Old 02-29-2016, 10:06 AM

Default Regulator 26 Rebuild Suggestions

Be sure to install a good quality high water alarm. Latest ABYC recommendations are that it be wired "always on" as is the bilge pump.

Check to make sure that the port and starboard side outboard compartments will actually drain. Both my 1999 and a friend's '99 have drain holes in the aft/inboard corner of the P&S outboard compartments, but no corresponding drain hole in the central bilge. Pour in some water and see if it drains out. Regulator claimed that there were 'weep holes' into the center bilge, but we could never find them.

We have both installed proper 1" bore G-10 composite drain tubes. Note that you probably cannot see or check the outboard drain holes' existence without removing the battery boxes.

Also, on both our boats the fittings for the 3 transom box drains into the P&S scuppers were threaded fittings, not proper barbed fittings. Also, on both boats the stiff hoses had deflected the tops of the scupper tubes. We went to more flexible hoses, reinforcing G10 plates on the top surface of the scuppers, and used GEMLUX short/straight SS through hull fittings instead of the threaded plastic ones. BTW - all the original fittings were installed into holes 1/4" oversize.

I do not recommend using the thermoformed plastic scupper inserts that Regulator provided to deal with leaky scuppers. Do it right.

Be sure to remove the external trim rings on the scuppers and check the bedding. I dug out the tired/leaking 5200, dried it all out, and pumped in WEST GFLEX epoxy. Leaks here, especially into outboard compartments that do not drain, could sink your boat.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad48 View Post
Be sure to install a good quality high water alarm. Latest ABYC recommendations are that it be wired "always on" as is the bilge pump.

Check to make sure that the port and starboard side outboard compartments will actually drain. Both my 1999 and a friend's '99 have drain holes in the aft/inboard corner of the P&S outboard compartments, but no corresponding drain hole in the central bilge. Pour in some water and see if it drains out. Regulator claimed that there were 'weep holes' into the center bilge, but we could never find them.

We have both installed proper 1" bore G-10 composite drain tubes. Note that you probably cannot see or check the outboard drain holes' existence without removing the battery boxes.

Also, on both our boats the fittings for the 3 transom box drains into the P&S scuppers were threaded fittings, not proper barbed fittings. Also, on both boats the stiff hoses had deflected the tops of the scupper tubes. We went to more flexible hoses, reinforcing G10 plates on the top surface of the scuppers, and used GEMLUX short/straight SS through hull fittings instead of the threaded plastic ones. BTW - all the original fittings were installed into holes 1/4" oversize.

I do not recommend using the thermoformed plastic scupper inserts that Regulator provided to deal with leaky scuppers. Do it right.

Be sure to remove the external trim rings on the scuppers and check the bedding. I dug out the tired/leaking 5200, dried it all out, and pumped in WEST GFLEX epoxy. Leaks here, especially into outboard compartments that do not drain, could sink your boat.
I will def be installing a high water alarm. Heard the stories about leaky scuppers. I know my port and starboard boxes don't drain which I found odd but haven't looked into it yet. Think they are jammed with crap.

I'm removing the plastic scupper and replacing with stainless. Will def make sure everything looks sealed and dry.

My three aft boxes all drain into the scupper and were just caulked into a hole. Obviously I will be doing tht all over like you did. Thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
Where did you find a couple HPDIs that were good enough to reinstall on your boat? How did you figure they will hold up?
Someone I knew was repowering with f200 and needed to off load them. Motors were services by a yamaha tech and had all print outs. It's always a gamble but for what I have into them and how bullet proof they are I'm not worried. Just like buying anything used.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:37 PM

Finally so progress after this crappy spring we been having on Long Island.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (14.4 KB, 184 views)
Old 05-15-2016, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad48 View Post

The weep holes are there. Take a small rod and probe behind the battery to the bottom corner of the stringer and transom. There is a piece of pvc through-pipe there. 1/2" I think. The area between the stringers and sides would never hold enough water to sink the boat before it ran over the stringers.

On FS models they still have the classic grillage below so water can collect in what would be the classic front side fish boxes. I have speakers on the aft side of the FS and can clear the drain hole with a wiring fish tape. Crap gets under the open space under the gunnel and clogs it up.

10x on the bilge alarm for any off shore b oat as well as dual pumps, both auto to separate batteries non-switched.

Last edited by gary999; 05-15-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:30 PM

Boat is painted now to wiring everything back up. Does anyone know the lug size on 200hpdi? I'm moving the batteries to unde the console is it over kill going 1/0 gauge or is 2/0 plenty?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (17.8 KB, 207 views)
Old 06-05-2016, 06:40 PM
Enthusiast

2guage is plenty
Old 01-19-2017, 10:33 PM

Where did you put those 2 house batteries and VSR's. looking to add some house batteries to my 2k 26 with all the added LED lighting and electronics I have been adding.
Have thought about under the console but would lose my fresh water location.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelWired View Post
Where did you put those 2 house batteries and VSR's. looking to add some house batteries to my 2k 26 with all the added LED lighting and electronics I have been adding.
Have thought about under the console but would lose my fresh water location.
Bringing this back up so we can see how you moved the batteries