RedRegulatorForums  

Go Back   RedRegulatorForums > Engines/Power

Old 09-01-2020, 11:19 AM

Default 34 repower

Anyone have any experience with replacing Yamaha 350s on older 34cc or 34ss?

"new" 350C is lighter but still has fly wheel issue which would be great to avoid in a repower.

Suzuki or Merc? Anyone convert to triple 300s? Did it require new bracket?
Old 09-01-2020, 05:27 PM

Yes, I re-powered my '13 34CC from twin 350s to triple 300s this past winter. It is a big project but I am extremely happy with the results. Lots to say but long short of it I looked at everything in the 35-41 foot range and couldn't find a hull that excited me enough to leave my Reg 34. Moreover, given the track record /reputation of the 350s I had eaten so much depreciation that it was actually half as much money to re-power to trips than it was to sell mine and buy new with trips. Lastly, I have the last year with the 380 gallon tank so didn't want to give up 30 gallons of fuel, port/starboard fuel fills, cockpit space given the new leaning post tackle center, etc., etc. Couldn't find a used trip 34 that I was comfortable with so went for the re-power.

Three big items: 1) you will need to add a third pickup to the fuel tank. My guy built a pickup and installed it in the fuel tank access port under the leaning post (where the twin fuel pickups are) 2) Need to remove the twin bracket and install new triple bracket. 3) Hang/rig the trips. I was able to re-use the Yamaha digital gauge as well as the steering cylinders.

Happy to provide more detail if you or anyone else is seriously considering the project.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:11 PM

Default 34 repower

Many thanks for your detailed response.

Were there any insurance questions since the boat was originally rated for 700hp?
Old 09-01-2020, 09:37 PM

None. I actually completed the re-power after the premium was due for this year. After reporting the upgrade in power there was no change to the premium!
Old 09-13-2020, 09:16 PM

Default 34 Repower Cost

If you don't mind sharing the approximate cost I'd be interested to know. I have a 2013 34SS with Helmmaster and I'm considering a repower for all the reasons you mentioned. I'm also considering twin 425's but not sure which is the better option.
2001 26' Regulator FS w/ Twin 200 HP (Sandy Victim)
Old 09-15-2020, 11:24 AM

Sure. In round #s: enigines/rigging came out to ~$85K; removal of twin bracket/installation of triple bracket/addition of third pickup to fuel tank ~$17k, purchase of triple bracket directly from Armstrong ~10k, sold twin 350s for $10K so net cost came out right around $100k.

Yes, big number and no doubt many will think it's crazy but when compared to selling the boat for 200k change and buying a new triple boat for 475k+ only about 35-40% of that cost. After seven years of dialing in rigging/mods to my specific use case couldn't find a used triple that felt quite right and even that swap was starting to rival the re-power cost.

I also considered the twin 425 option as that is more cost effective (but not by as much as you might guess) and the path of least resistance but I had a few concerns: first, I was swapping into a yet unproven platform vs the proven 300 and reliability was one of my primary motivations for the re-power, second and closely related I place a big premium on having the ability to still get the boat on plane if down an engine and third I always felt that the twin engine configuration on that boat was a bit "squatty" in the rear with the V8 350s and going to the even heavier 425 would only make that characteristic worse. Armstrong assured me that my bracket could handle the weight/torque of the big 425s but Al at Reg would not confirm, which made me a bit skittish. Not sure if you've ever seen the triple bracket next to the twin bracket out of the water, but the triple bracket looks massive next to the twin and has substantially more flotation underneath. I can tell you that after the swap I feel the hull is much better balanced, which only makes sense as the triple V6s actually weigh LESS than the twin V8s and have more buoyancy underneath them. Might also be spreading the weight out across the stern, either way just my subjective opinion. I see that Reg is now offering both the 31 and 34 with twin 425 configurations, so it is clearly a viable option if you are comfortable with the bit of leap of faith on the reliability front. Likewise I would guess that the 425s would lose a bit of fuel efficiency/range vs the 350s and certainly the triples (I saw roughly a 10-12% improvement in REAL WORLD fuel efficiency at cruise with trip V6s over twin V8s). Obviously each captain has there own risk tolerance re: reliability and range constraints given their use case. If you do decide to head down the path of re-powering with 425s, though, I would strongly recommend calling both Regulator and Armstrong and confirm whether there were any modifications made to the brackets to handle the heavy 425s. If the current twin 425 configuration bracket is the same as yours, then it's simply a matter of best fit for your use case. If the current brackets have been modified and you need to swap the bracket, then why not just go to trips?
Old 09-15-2020, 09:03 PM

Default 34 Repower Cost

Thanks for sharing the cost and all of the details!! The cost is about what I expected.

I completely agree trip ,300's are the better option.

Since 425's have electronic steering the steering helm would have to be changed and I suspect autopilot pump would have to be changed as well.

Fortunately my 350's are running well so I don't think I'll be making the change for another year or two but I do like the increased speed and security of the trip's so I may make the change sooner then necessary.

Thanks again!!

Lou

BTW- where are you located? I'm in NJ
Old 09-16-2020, 03:26 PM

I'm on Cape Cod. If you're ever up my way feel free to PM me and happy to take you on a sea trial.

Good luck with the 350s....as long as they're running well and you still have confidence in them might as well get everything you can out of them. Plenty of 350s out there that have made it several thousand hours. Unfortunately mine were not among them!
Old 09-27-2020, 09:25 PM

Default 34 Repower Cost

Thanks for the offer! Coincidently I just got back from the Vineyard.

That's the plan, my 350's are running well and plan to run them as long as possible.