RedRegulatorForums  

Go Back   RedRegulatorForums > Model Specfic Tricks/Modifications

Old 03-05-2018, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast

This is how I did mine. Lee 15 degree. I keep my tuna rods up there when we are doing the run/gun game and they stick even when we are moving in some sloppy weather. I centered them on the gunwale...thought that looked best.

I don't think 0 degree or 30 would be as good. JHMO.

Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170609_174637.jpg (72.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 03-10-2018, 09:48 AM

For the guys that have installed the Lees holders, is there anything special you had to do to drill the openings? Are the openings drilled at an angle to match the holders angle? If so, what method did you use to get it right the first time?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:45 PM

Default Angle on rod holder

The best thing to do is create a template for the hole. You do this by using a hole saw to cut the 15 degree hole in a piece of wood. I usually use a piece that’s at least 1 inch thick. I prefer to use a harder piece of wood like oak or hickory. I had from scraps of flooring...

When cutting the template, I flip one of the rod holders upside down next to the piece of wood I am drilling through and match the angle of the rod holder with the drill.

Once you have created your template, I cover the area on the boat I am drilling with blue masking tape. I lay out where I want the holde and then duct tape the template down to the gunwale.

HTH
Old 03-14-2018, 03:09 PM

Template is the safest thing to do. I made one, but in the process got confident enough in angling the drill based on the rodholder turned upside down that I went ahead and cut holes without the piece of wood. The rodholders are pretty forgiving as to precise angle. I did have to file a little bit once the hole was cut since my rodholders (lees heavy duty) were not quite perfectly circular due to the weld of the pin at the base, but easy to make room for it. Added two more 15 degrees to the gunnels on each side this offseason. Pretty easy project but a little gut-wrenching making that first hole haha.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletus9000 View Post
Template is the safest thing to do. I made one, but in the process got confident enough in angling the drill based on the rodholder turned upside down that I went ahead and cut holes without the piece of wood. The rodholders are pretty forgiving as to precise angle. I did have to file a little bit once the hole was cut since my rodholders (lees heavy duty) were not quite perfectly circular due to the weld of the pin at the base, but easy to make room for it. Added two more 15 degrees to the gunnels on each side this offseason. Pretty easy project but a little gut-wrenching making that first hole haha.
This is also how I did mine - just had to drink two beers before I tossed the template.

I put a coat of west systems epoxy in the hole to seal it from water and then used 5200 in the bolt holes and the top edge of the hole for the rod holder.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtaylor View Post
This is also how I did mine - just had to drink two beers before I tossed the template.

I put a coat of west systems epoxy in the hole to seal it from water and then used 5200 in the bolt holes and the top edge of the hole for the rod holder.
A lot less work without the template, for sure. Although, If your drill with the hole saw “jumps”, you will be glad you have the template....as the drill will hit the template and not your non-skid. I would think you would need to drink more than two beers to not care about a gouge in the non-skid :-)
Old 03-16-2018, 10:00 AM

I just took my time. I did tape off the area I was drilling to help avoid any splintering of the gelcoat / non skid as you stated in your earlier post. It was not that difficult.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:57 PM

just put 6 30 deg. in my 26 2000 classic. i got the Bluewater screwless from Gemlux and it was very easy. i used 2x4 template. No screws after the hole cut but u do have to cut a small notch out that holds it in place. i used a dremel for the notch. all four took an hour. they dont match the old ones but they look very clean