RedRegulatorForums  

Go Back   RedRegulatorForums > The Edge

Old 06-27-2015, 04:15 PM
Enthusiast

Default Teaser Reels - Surfboard Hardtop

Guys, I would like to get some feedback from everyone on what model teaser reels you have and how they have been mounted to the new "Surfboard" Hardtops. Getting ready to install a set on the Chompers in the very near future and wanted to get some ideas.
Manasquan, NJ
james@chompersfishing.com
https://www.facebook.com/Chompersfishing

Raymarine Pro Ambassador
Phenix Rods - ProStaff
Sterling Tackle - ProStaff
Old 08-25-2015, 06:17 PM

Default avoid these

Maxel - bad drags and rusting components not even through year one. I don't have them on my boat but fish with someone who does...

Saltbox
2014 Regulator 28
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Old 01-13-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Ivy View Post
Guys, I would like to get some feedback from everyone on what model teaser reels you have and how they have been mounted to the new "Surfboard" Hardtops. Getting ready to install a set on the Chompers in the very near future and wanted to get some ideas.
What did you end going with for teaser reels? I am interested as well. We use something similar on the Great Lakes for trolling with the large offshore planer boards. After talking with Regulator, they highly suggested that I do not pull anything from these tops. I was thinking about having a small planer board reel mast about 2' long and just place it in the Outrigger holders when needed.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

This is one of the projects that we have scheduled for over the winter. In the research that we did it seems that the best option.

http://www.reelcolors.com/teeserreels.html
Manasquan, NJ
james@chompersfishing.com
https://www.facebook.com/Chompersfishing

Raymarine Pro Ambassador
Phenix Rods - ProStaff
Sterling Tackle - ProStaff
Old 01-14-2016, 07:47 PM

I have the teaser reels but considering putting two electric Daiwa reels on the sea suckers with a wiring harness mounted flush in the top. Have two Maxwell reels mounted on a bar with sea suckers now and works well but agree with earlier comment on the quality. If they were left out surely would corode quickly. Electric Daiwa's probably similar price and then you have have an auto retrieve which when fishing short handed is pretty nice. Something to think about. Also nice to not have to keep the reels out all the time when you are not using them.

Attached a picture of my set up with Maxwells and one of the electric reels. Not my original idea Contender Factory tournament boat has the set up and is docked down by me each year for White Marlin Open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (82.0 KB, 118 views)
Old 01-14-2016, 07:48 PM

second attachment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.7 KB, 144 views)
Old 02-09-2019, 06:33 PM

Default Finally

Got my hard top pancake teaser reels delivered and installed last week. I researched a number of different choices before settling on Elect-tra-mate TEEZER 8” models. I settled on these because they have actual clickers that can be turned on and off and plus they’re made in NC. Went with black powder coat model spools. Looking forward to trying them out next trip.

Saltbox
2014 Regulator 28
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Old 02-09-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
Got my hard top pancake teaser reels delivered and installed last week. I researched a number of different choices before settling on Elect-tra-mate TEEZER 8” models. I settled on these because they have actual clickers that can be turned on and off and plus they’re made in NC. Went with black powder coat model spools. Looking forward to trying them out next trip.

Very nice. How did you mount them?
Old 02-10-2019, 12:00 AM

I called Al Partin to ask about screw mount vs through bolting. He thought the surfboard core material would be more than enough holding strength. I did some aggressive pull testing and concluded the same. So, they are tap screwed and then siliconed in place. Feel really stout.

Saltbox
2014 Regulator 28
Wrightsville Beach, NC