RedRegulatorForums  

Go Back   RedRegulatorForums > Model Specfic Tricks/Modifications

Old 03-08-2011, 11:34 PM

You would recognize me from THT. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Chris, A couple of additional questions...
So with the new access to the bildge you are giving up the livewell?
What are the two thru hulls on the transom? I know they were standard equipment from regulator. On the 01's it appears you have the smaller style scuppers, have you given thought to customizing that? I have being playin in my head on how to make them big like the newer style. The current scuppers exit down then out. If you were to plug the current scuppers in the deck, make a small indent on the deck, mount the larger scuppers like the newer design it might be a sweet upgrade. Your thoughts?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj bruno View Post
Chris, A couple of additional questions...
So with the new access to the bildge you are giving up the livewell?
What are the two thru hulls on the transom? I know they were standard equipment from regulator. On the 01's it appears you have the smaller style scuppers, have you given thought to customizing that? I have being playin in my head on how to make them big like the newer style. The current scuppers exit down then out. If you were to plug the current scuppers in the deck, make a small indent on the deck, mount the larger scuppers like the newer design it might be a sweet upgrade. Your thoughts?
AJ ,

Yes the livewell will be gone. In all honesty we never live bait fish. If we are not trolling , we are running and gunning.
On her trailer , the need to change a fuel filter or address a pump was inconvenient. To do the same on the water was dangerous , if not impossible. The choice to do away with an option we dont use was easy.

The thru hulls on the transome supplied water to an above deck livewell which I removed years ago. Jay asked about removing the thru hulls and sealing then finishing. Unfortunatley that is out of budget right now , although in a perfect world , now would be the time to do it.

As for the scuppers , I do have the smaller ones. Through your reconditioning thread , I purchased the stainless ones. I never looked over the newer 23s setup. How does it differ from ours ?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Enthusiast

Talking Electronics

Well we just secured our next generation of electronics.

The funny thing about this is , we attended not only the Atlantic City Boat Show , but also flew to Miami with one goal .... to get our electronics sorted out.
Oddly enough , we left Miami with more questions then we arrived with. Both of the units I thought we might be going with ( Garmin 5212 and Furuno Navnet 3d MFD12 ) had issues that we werent sure we could live with.

The unit we wound up with , was a unit we didnt even have on the radar (pun intended), the Simrad NSE12. After speaking with many Electronics retailers , Simrad techs and having the oppurtunity to play with it , I couldnt be more impressed.
The ease of use and processing speed of this machine is at the top of the class. And since Ive also been referred to as a "tightwad" , there are some fantastic bundle deals going on right now.
Hopefully we'll have pictures to post within a few days.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris996 View Post
AJ ,

Yes the livewell will be gone. In all honesty we never live bait fish. If we are not trolling , we are running and gunning.
On her trailer , the need to change a fuel filter or address a pump was inconvenient. To do the same on the water was dangerous , if not impossible. The choice to do away with an option we dont use was easy.

The thru hulls on the transome supplied water to an above deck livewell which I removed years ago. Jay asked about removing the thru hulls and sealing then finishing. Unfortunatley that is out of budget right now , although in a perfect world , now would be the time to do it.

As for the scuppers , I do have the smaller ones. Through your reconditioning thread , I purchased the stainless ones. I never looked over the newer 23s setup. How does it differ from ours ?
The newer 23's have a lip at the back of the deck and much larger scuppers....

They are more like this...

http://www.floridasportsman.com/xtra/1012R21.jpg

I was thinking of doing something like this....
http://www.classicmako.com/projects/...s/scupper1.jpg
Old 03-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast

Chris,I've been at the shop the past couple days working on my duck boat and keeping Jay company.He's coming along with your project.I snapped a few pics to keep you updated.

Newly acquired 2003 CAROLINA SKIFF J12 Suzy 25
Newly acquired Roy Schellinger low boat 15 Suzy sneakbox

Last edited by billfishnfool; 03-12-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj bruno View Post
The newer 23's have a lip at the back of the deck and much larger scuppers....

They are more like this...

http://www.floridasportsman.com/xtra/1012R21.jpg

I was thinking of doing something like this....
http://www.classicmako.com/projects/...s/scupper1.jpg
The Classic Mako picture looks like some of the suggested parts to fix the scupper issue on older 26s. I just changed mine and got the parts from Regulator. I am happy to have a larger lip in the fiberglass scupper sleeve which was the weak point, but the black rubber flap does not flex easily. I am not sure how well the water will get out due to the scuppers rigiditity. The large scuppers in the cockpit are great, but not sure how well the outboard black rubber piece will do..

Last edited by Hockleyneck; 03-11-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Enthusiast

Bill - Thanks so much for posting , not just the recent , but all the pictures.
The work looks fantastic and I dont need to tell you .... JAY IS THE MAN !

One thing I forgot to mention about our decision to address the bilge access.
Our bilge always had water in it. After talking to many owners with the access plates in the splashwell , we believe they were the culprit.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Enthusiast

Your doing the best access modification I can think of.A bud who also has a 23 installed a 10" by 20"+- hatch in the splash well along with another access just inside the cockpit in order to reach the fixtures however when we are running I can see some flexing at the transom.This area has a small crack and he caulks it every year but the flexing keeps it open or cracked.I think eliminating any access in the well as you have done will be the strongest,driest way to go.
Newly acquired 2003 CAROLINA SKIFF J12 Suzy 25
Newly acquired Roy Schellinger low boat 15 Suzy sneakbox
Old 03-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast

Well ,even with the longer days , I still didnt get everything I wanted to done.
However we were able to make some progress.

We started by getting to work on the tackle center.

This tackle center is a litle larger then the option available from Regulator , with openings to accommodate the life raft.