RedRegulatorForums  

Go Back   RedRegulatorForums > Model Specfic Tricks/Modifications

Old 07-24-2020, 02:50 PM
Enthusiast

Ok lets solve 23 and 23 II mistery once for all. When 23 was introduced in early 90 it was just Regulator 23 . I have 1996 23 and it is original first design of this model hull and cap. Somewhere mid 96 Regulator realized that stern space is cramped because of oversized motor well that made 23 look more like 21 so they reduced size of 2 side stern compartment boxes, cut motor well size in half and changed drainage to the corner of the deck compared to over the transom that original design has. Original 23 has also large deck hatch (Like 26)behind leaning post compared to no hatch and only 2 inspection plates in front of outboard to 23 II. Bow anchor locker design was changed and some minor console details . In later years 0f 23 II Regulator changed gray gelcoat non skid floor to all white gelcoat floor and changed ugly old fashioned black lexiglass hatches to all white ease on eyes starboard ones. Also bowrail became optional compared to all early 23 coming with it. I'm missing maybe few details but I mentioned most imortant ones I think.My 23 is hull number 71 and was produced in september 1995 . For all of you wandering what was purchase price I still have original bill of sale dating to 3/97 of $ 37.094 for boat and motor. Took almost year and half to sell it so back in a day Regulator wasnt as popular as it is today and they were rolling about 1 hull a month from factory.

Last edited by vze2gbs4; 07-24-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:24 PM

Appreciate the information. Looks like the 23II solved a few problems from the initial hull design. I love my hull which is the reason that I'm renovating rather than spending $180k on a new one. I'm not sure there is another 23' boat that lists for a higher retail price than the Reg, which tells you something. It's a high quality boat that rides like no other.
I thought about a 27' Sea Hunt, but I just knew that I would ultimately be disappointed in the ride. So it was spend $70k or spend $150k+ on a new or used Reg. The fact that so many regard this hull as one of the best ever made, I feel I made the right choice. Just needs some TLC and upgrades.
I have thrown 1,000s of fish across my deck, and I have been out in some serious storms. She always brought me home safe and sound.
Can't wait to see the final results.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vze2gbs4 View Post
.... Somewhere mid 96 Regulator realized that stern space is cramped because of oversized motor well that made 23 look more like 21 so they reduced size of 2 side stern compartment boxes, cut motor well size in half and changed drainage to the corner of the deck compared to over the transom that original design has. ..... ...
Thanks, I've always wondered about the II .... but I don't quite follow this about the motor well, if the well is oversized it seems it looks less like a 21 and reducing the side boxes would make it more oversized. Can you clear my confusion (just out of interest)? Maybe a picture of your motor well area would help. THANKS

Last edited by OldMan-theSea; 07-24-2020 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:30 AM
Enthusiast

Entire stern cockpit area behind leaning post was pushed back by good feet maybe feet and a half -by doing this naturaly motor well size was cut in half by so was 2 storage boxes ( only length was reduced not width ). Another important change was that cutout above the fuel tank was eliminated so any tank removal on 23 II would require cutting the deck compared to simply raising the hatch on original 23. Original 23 also had fuel capacity of 150 gallons
Old 07-25-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vze2gbs4 View Post
Entire stern cockpit area behind leaning post was pushed back by good feet maybe feet and a half -by doing this naturaly motor well size was cut in half by so was 2 storage boxes ( only length was reduced not width ). Another important change was that cutout above the fuel tank was eliminated so any tank removal on 23 II would require cutting the deck compared to simply raising the hatch on original 23. Original 23 also had fuel capacity of 150 gallons
Thanks, now I see. But having to cut the deck for the fuel tank (like most boats) was a step back, IMO, but maybe that's what allowed enlarging the tank.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:28 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfRegulator23CC View Post
BTW, going with Garmin 8612 and 18HD+ radar. Fusion stereo with JL Audio speakers. Through hull transducer.
Replacing all plastic fittings with SS. Basically a total refurb with new hardware.
I more or less did all this on my 26. It's amazing how the little things, like stainless latches, can really help improve the look of the boat.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast

I got rid of all the black lucite and starboard, aft boxes and console.
Changed out the sliding console door to white swing open doors with stainless hardware. There is a thread on this on here.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape23 View Post
I have 1999 23 with the original twin Yamaha 200's (6 cylinders each!). While I haven't stuck it to WOT on flat day it seems the best that I get is the low 40 MPH range. I could probably get another 2-4 MPH by adjusting the engine trim but i'd be sacrificing some of that Regulator ride.

Cruising at about about 25 MPH (based on GPS) at about 3 - 3,200 RPM on each engine I'm burning about 20 gallons an hour. Though I wouldn't be running at that speed the whole time I figure I have about 7 - 9 hours of fuel range (90% sure I have the 185 gallon tank), which I translate to about 175-200 miles.
Cape23 what props you running? I have exact same boat.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:37 PM

I've spent most of the spring and summer doing just about the same to my 2004 23 classic - reinforced the transom and added knee braces, reworked everything in the bilge for better access to pumps, repowered with twin Yamaha F200's, total rewire from front to back and new switches, all new electronics - MFDs, radar, thru hull transducer, stereo system, etc. Pretty much replaced everything in the boat except the hull, liner, cap, and fuel tank.

If you have any questions, Ive probably come across the same thing already this year so don't hesitate to ask!
Old 07-30-2020, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJ23 View Post
I've spent most of the spring and summer doing just about the same to my 2004 23 classic - reinforced the transom and added knee braces, reworked everything in the bilge for better access to pumps, repowered with twin Yamaha F200's, total rewire from front to back and new switches, all new electronics - MFDs, radar, thru hull transducer, stereo system, etc. Pretty much replaced everything in the boat except the hull, liner, cap, and fuel tank.

If you have any questions, Ive probably come across the same thing already this year so don't hesitate to ask!
Awesome! got any pics of the work and the modifications you made?