RedRegulatorForums  

Go Back   RedRegulatorForums > Model Specfic Tricks/Modifications

Old 12-26-2020, 03:27 PM

Default Thru Hull Anchor on Reg32

I am installing the thru-hull anchor setup in my MY2000, 32, for this coming season.

I have already sourced most of the needed parts, with the exception of the claw anchor and chain.

The question I have is what size claw anchor do most 32's have for weight? There are 2 sizes, from Lewmar that are listed as possible solutions. One is a 22LB claw and the other is the 33lb claw. Lewmar states;
22lb for boat length 25-31 and 33lb for 28-36.

It would also be helpful to know what setups you are using for chain and combination of line length?
I have also heard the chain tends to "stack" on top of itself and can jam the windless if the pile is not knocked back down?

Does anyone have any real-life experience with any of these questions?

Thank you in advance.

TJ
Old 12-27-2020, 10:12 PM
Enthusiast

The new to us 32 has a windlass and I have not used it but I could answer some questions for you about it. I know the previous owner loved it and said it was the best thing he ever did. I will measure out the size of the anchor along with chain for you, next time I go out to the boat. It is one of those two Lemars on there right now, just never measured it yet to find out which one .
Old 12-28-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle0930 View Post
The new to us 32 has a windlass and I have not used it but I could answer some questions for you about it. I know the previous owner loved it and said it was the best thing he ever did. I will measure out the size of the anchor along with chain for you, next time I go out to the boat. It is one of those two Lemars on there right now, just never measured it yet to find out which one .
Nice to know it is a worthwhile upgrade and looking forward to your discovery.
Thank you for doing that. Happy New Year!
Old 01-23-2021, 01:12 PM

Default Why????

Personally, I would NOT install a thru the hull anchor. You may wish to rethink this project.

1. You will be opening up the bow to allow salt water to enter the anchor locker.
2. You lose the ability to use an anchor ball (a big deal to me).
3. Your ability to pull the anchor by hand if the windlass quits becomes complicated.
4. Your ability to check your anchor for damage becomes complicated.
5. You are going to have to do a lot of modifications in your anchor locker to accommodate a place to mount the windlass.

It would be much easier and effective to add a pulpit.
The attached photo is the best that I have in my computer. Sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windlass.jpg (96.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-23-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelLove View Post
Personally, I would NOT install a thru the hull anchor. You may wish to rethink this project.

1. You will be opening up the bow to allow salt water to enter the anchor locker.
3. Your ability to pull the anchor by hand if the windlass quits becomes complicated.
5. You are going to have to do a lot of modifications in your anchor locker to accommodate a place to mount the windlass.

6. It cuts the anchor locker line capacity in half.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelLove View Post

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, however, if you do your own homework and source the correct parts, then it's a pretty straight forward task, with zero modifications needed, with the exception of cutting the bow opening for the breast-plate installation. As for anchor damage, not sure what could possibly break using a single, forged, stainless steel, one-piece anchor?
Also, not a fan of the above the bow pulpits, thru-hull looks so much cleaner to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lew01.jpg (94.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg lew02.jpg (93.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg lew03.jpg (95.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg lew04.jpg (89.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg lew05.jpg (90.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-28-2021, 06:11 PM

Yes, it is opinion/preference. You were provide with 6 cons to that set-up, for you to consider. You now made an informed decision and clearly the pros of that set-up outweighed the cons for you and your use. ReelLove did not say it will damage your anchor, but rather it will be difficult to inspect your anchor for damage.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDose View Post
Yes, it is opinion/preference. You were provide with 6 cons to that set-up, for you to consider. You now made an informed decision and clearly the pros of that set-up outweighed the cons for you and your use. ReelLove did not say it will damage your anchor, but rather it will be difficult to inspect your anchor for damage.
Perhaps you should make a call to Regulator to inform them of how ill-fated this setup is? This is how they purpose their boats that are ordered with anchors.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDose View Post
Also, can you explain how this will cut the storage space in half? I don't see any truth or logic in your post.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast

My 34 uses the 22lb stainless Lewmar claw, that is from the factory. Seems to work fine.