RedRegulatorForums  

Go Back   RedRegulatorForums > 24 Degree Club

Old 07-10-2017, 07:17 AM

Default New to the Forum

Hey guys I have been patiently waiting and looking for the right Reg 26. I have some questions about the construction of the boat though.

At any time did Regulator build them with wood stringers? If so what years?
Also I have seen a couple of boats with curves near the transom on both port and strb side. Looks like the hull got hung up in the mold. Is this normal?

Look forward to learning more about these boats. I use to fish on a 2007 right much and after feeling that ride, I knew that was the boat I wanted my son to learn to offshore fish on.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2017, 11:20 PM

Welcome to the forum. I would recommend that you spend hours and hours reading old posts about history,construction,faulty design ( yes 26 has it ) and basically everything about this boat. Its all there . Discussed,dissected by people who owned this boat and know it the best . Yes - Regulator had wood in certain years - even under the entire deck. Regarding stringers - its a bondage application and quantity and quality of adhesive that they used until they realized ( factory ) that theres a major problem. Its regulator 26 number one defect together with scupper design ( yes 26 will sink and few did ). Read all about it because because thats a best way to know what you are getting into.

Regarding stern saggy sides. LOL. Thats the way she was made . Transom is not straight but curved towards the sides. Look at mid nineties Albermarle 27 . Owen Maxwell worked there before he started Regulator on his own. Hull is almost carbon copy of 26. Also look at Mako 261 with brackets. Those two boats are parents of legend known as 26 Reg.
I had 2 - one with known problems ( 96 ) and one those problems addressed and fixed ( 2003 ). Its a bucket list boat. After you had one you will be at peace whatever comes next. I certainly am. I had the best.

Regarding finding one. Something happened this year to used 26 market. I have never seen so few for sale and never seen prices so high for used ones. They dont depricate anymore I think. Its opposite I think -like a classic cars price will only go up since they dont make her anymore. Be sharp and quick-there are hundreds of guys lookng for same boat trust me .

Last edited by vze2gbs4; 07-10-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

I am biased but what a boat! I have had my 2001 for 9 years and average 12 to 15 100 fathom type trips a year on her, as well as countless in shore and mid shore trips.