RedRegulatorForums  

Go Back   RedRegulatorForums > Model Specfic Tricks/Modifications

Old 12-10-2017, 01:46 PM

Default 23 Classic, livewell

Can someone explain how the Live well is supposed to be plumbed and work? Mine hasn't worked since I bought it.
I have 2 switches on the dash, "livewell" and "overboard livewell" there is also a float switch at the top of the well. I do know that when the seacock is open the well will gravity fill on its own. Any advice is appreciated. Is there a better way to plumb it?
Old 12-10-2017, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast

Did you close valve that is inside of live well? If seacock is open and wash down pump is on than the live well will fill. The switch that says live well is for the water to circulate and pump out. The float switch on top of live well is to keep the well from overflowing onto deck. The drain with the plug on bottom of well goes directly into bilge (terrible design) and you can drain remaining water that pump doesn't get out. Always make sure that plug is in because if it gravity feeds like you said or if valve is open your bilge will fill.

"Doubled Up"
2004 23 Classic
Twin F150's
Old 12-10-2017, 06:18 PM

I Don't have any valves inside the well. I guess my main question is this.... is one pump supposed to act as a fill and circulate pump, and the other supposed to pump the well overboard? Is the float switch supposed to activate the discharge pump or deactivate the fill pump? Probably stupid questions but the set up seems like It's more complicated than it needs to be
Old 12-10-2017, 07:17 PM
Enthusiast

One pump continuously pumps water in. It does not turn off by the float. The pump attached to the float switch pumps the water out, usually not as fast as it comes in. There is a valve in the bilge in the white piping that is used to slow down the water coming in so it does not over whelm the float pump. You basically play around with it to find the best position for the valve so water is not getting on the deck.

The float switch pump is also switched at the helm. Turn off the fill pump and turn it on to empty the livewell. Close the valve so it does not refill from the scoop through hull. I leave the plug out of the livewell when not in use.

Al can email you an owner's manual that covers the operation. It took me a while to figure it out but it works very well once I understood what was going on. Hope this helps.

Last edited by gary999; 12-10-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:49 PM

Ah, that makes sense! Many thanks
Old 07-27-2018, 11:28 PM

I replumbd mine with a rule 800 gph baitwell pump for inflow. When the livewell is full, i turn on another 800 gph pump marked livewell to discharge to prevent overflow. Those wash down pumps are not made for continuous use. I put in the Rule pump that has another connection for my wasdown pump which i never use because they only last a year or two and are expensive. Going to try another 800 gph rule pump for this if I ever feel I need a washdown pump.