RedRegulatorForums  

Go Back   RedRegulatorForums > The Live Well

Old 08-29-2019, 09:56 AM

Default Regulator 23 - Upgrade bigger?

Currently own a 2005 23 and looking at a 2012 28. Question is, we have plans of being able to do some fishing salt water fishing in the future. Exact location is undetermined at this time, retirement plans. I know the location and type of fishing will have an impact on size. If I am going to upgrade now is when I need to do that, pre retirement. Having never done any boating in saltwater and all of my experience is on the great lakes, is the 23 enough? I get that the 23 is a very seaworthy boat but wanted to get everyone's input. My fishing in saltwater will most likely be inshore wreck fishing and trolling but I know me, I'll want to be chasing Palegics offshore also. Not knocking the 23, just want to get some input from experienced fisherman. Will we be happy with our 23 or would we be better off with the 28 overall. Or does the 28 enter the realm of almost being too big for some things?
Old 08-29-2019, 11:42 AM
Enthusiast

If you really want to fish offshore. 30' with twins a minimum IMO. Still small enough to fish inshore, but you can get out and troll when weather ok
Old 08-29-2019, 11:44 AM
Enthusiast

I have a 23 classic. Great sea boat, really don't take it beyond local wrecks 10 miles or so. I know plenty of guys do. Not the right platform for way offshore.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:53 AM

On my second season with a 28 and it is perfect for me.
Only "too big" if you trailer it regularly and not set up for it.
Long story short traded up from a 23 Sea Craft that I had for 20+ years.
Good luck with your decision
Old 08-29-2019, 12:10 PM

Generally speaking, bigger is always better. I fish my 23 Classic at the Mid-Atlantic canyons whenever the weather allows. A 28 would almost definitely get you a few more days per season. Id guess that the bumpy, borderline stay or go days would be go days in a 28. The 23, as you know is an easily towed package. Anything more I'd want/need a 3/4 ton tow vehicle. For me, it would boil down to whether or not the boat will stay in a slip. If the answer is "yes" I'd get the biggest I could.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:38 PM

Depends what offshore means for your particular area. For me, off MD, offshore means 55-60 nms out to hit the shelf. I run a 29 classic and it is a versatile boat that scratches that itch while remaining trailerable with my 3/4 ton diesel pickup. I probably fish 12-15 times "offshore" per year. I can launch and retrieve by myself and it's small enough that I have mounted an electric trolling motor on it, making it super versatile inshore as well. If you go much bigger you start losing some of that versatility, in exchange for more comfort and ability to fish more days offshore. Everything in this game is a compromise.

However, if you end up in, say, south FL or somewhere where the runs to the stream are shorter, sometimes less than 20 miles, I would say your 23 would be just fine. Bottom line you have to pick your days in most any center console be it 23 or 28.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:28 PM

Thanks for all the great input. To answer the question of location. There is a very good chance the area will be the keys or somewhere up the west coast of Florida to Destin.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriegardless View Post
Currently own a 2005 23 and looking at a 2012 28. Question is, we have plans of being able to do some fishing salt water fishing in the future. Exact location is undetermined at this time, retirement plans. I know the location and type of fishing will have an impact on size. If I am going to upgrade now is when I need to do that, pre retirement. Having never done any boating in saltwater and all of my experience is on the great lakes, is the 23 enough? I get that the 23 is a very seaworthy boat but wanted to get everyone's input. My fishing in saltwater will most likely be inshore wreck fishing and trolling but I know me, I'll want to be chasing Palegics offshore also. Not knocking the 23, just want to get some input from experienced fisherman. Will we be happy with our 23 or would we be better off with the 28 overall. Or does the 28 enter the realm of almost being too big for some things?
Been there done that. Started with a 2013 23FS and after three years got a 2016 28FS. No regrets. The 28FS is not too big for some things. In my opinion, the only reason to not go 28 is finances. There is increased maintenance/running costs and expenses.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Having never done any boating in saltwater and all of my experience is on the great lakes, is the 23 enough? I get that the 23 is a very seaworthy boat but wanted to get everyone's input. My fishing in saltwater will most likely be inshore wreck fishing and trolling but I know me, I'll want to be chasing Palegics offshore also.
Planned on getting a 23 earlier this year for offshore fishing in south FL. Fairly quickly started leaning toward a 25, mostly for the twins option, which seemed to be plenty. Did some research, started looking at the 28 and ended up with one. I can tell you I wouldn't want to be out on a 23 in anything but really nice days and even then you have to keep a close eye on potential squalls. Also the Reg is the only 23 I'd take offshore because it's bigger than every other 23ft cc.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the great input. To answer the question of location. There is a very good chance the area will be the keys or somewhere up the west coast of Florida to Destin.
Upper west coast of FL is very nice but it's relatively shallow and if you want deep water start at Destin and look west from there. Edge is only about 20-25 miles out from Destin and Pcola passes (actually closer to the shore) and a 23 is a common size boat out there. From Orange Beach on west you have the oil rigs. Also, Alabama has an extensive reef program.

Last edited by OldMan-theSea; 08-31-2019 at 10:00 AM.