RedRegulatorForums  

Go Back   RedRegulatorForums > Whats Biting

Old 04-19-2018, 09:15 AM

Default Raritan

Hey everyone, now that i have a capable boat, i plan on taking the 23 from the western sound to raritan this weekend. Its a new fishery to me coming from the western sound, so im worndering what the primary tactics are this time of year. Ill be bringing along my mojo trolling gear, and some lighter tackle setups amd plugs. What do any raritan vets think my gameplan should be? Are people mostly looking for bunker pods and throwing plugs around the pods? Or are people casting plugs at shoreline structure? Or is more of a game of finding the stacked up fish laying on the bottom on the sounder? Same thing with the mojos? Look for the bunker pods before i start pulling em? Thanks for any insight guys. Will let everyone know how it goes.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast

Ride around until you mark them, then deploy your mojos or diving plugs. From what I've heard the smaller xraps have been working well lately. You can also try jigging paddle tails when you mark fish as well. They have also been responding well to topwater plugs in the shallower areas of the bay.

Basically you'll want to get up in the back of the bay, the 'triangle' area by perth amboy and staten island and work the shoal areas. Round shoal, etc.

2017 27 Onslow Bay 350 Verados
Former 23 Owner
Old 04-19-2018, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the reply basspond thats exactly what i was looking for so that i at least have my bearings when i get down there. Will you find fish pushing bunker pods on top back there during this time of the season?
Old 04-19-2018, 03:07 PM
Enthusiast

You can find fish on the pods, but usually that doesn't really ramp up until a little later when that water gets into the mid 50s. Last I heard it was around 46 degrees in the bay.

Former 23 Owner
Old 04-19-2018, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast

Yep, the bay is like an aquarium....small xraps, small mojos, and don't forget to chunk bunker as the sun is going down or coming up! The bay is a world class fishery for the next 2-3 weeks. Get out and in early...and miss all the idiots.
Manasquan, NJ
james@chompersfishing.com
https://www.facebook.com/Chompersfishing

Raymarine Pro Ambassador
Phenix Rods - ProStaff
Sterling Tackle - ProStaff
Old 04-24-2018, 09:08 PM
Enthusiast

When I lived in SI, the area where the Reach makes a sharp bend south of Great Kills was very productive with clams early in the season. The north side of the West Bank light house was a very good spot too. From what I've heard, the bass are in the shallows now due to the cold temps. Keansburg and Keyport flats have been productive to surf fishermen.

"Get Bent"
Old 04-25-2018, 08:29 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. Didnt do much when i was down there sunday. It was a zoo and i think the boat traffic turned off the bite to some degree. Was glad to see that the trip could be made relitvely easily from western sound though! For what its worth, i got into some schoolies locally on plugs and light tackle once home.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:50 PM
Enthusiast

Sunday was tough. I was out in the afternoon and it was slow even with the boat traffic thinning out. We did best on the flats off Morgan trolling plugs.

Former 23 Owner
Old 04-27-2018, 10:34 AM

Yea sunday i found gannets and big concentratiions of bunker north of the hook south of verranzano so i spend some time trolling mojos through it with no success. Water was about 25-30 feet deep there and surface temp around 47. Was i wasting my time out that far towards the mouth that early in the season? Gonna give it another shot tomorrow.