RedRegulatorForums  

Go Back   RedRegulatorForums > Model Specfic Tricks/Modifications

Old 01-11-2018, 10:10 PM
Enthusiast

Have you pressure tested to be sure there is a leak?
Old 01-12-2018, 07:09 AM

It's been pressure tested twice. One time the marina said it passed the second one didn't. Even if the tank isn't compromised, there's absolutely no way to get all that crap out. I've literally been trying to burn through it by changing filters for two years. I just can't have it anymore. I'm losing money during our already short commercial season and the runs to find fish are long early on. The rust along the rear baffle leads me to believe something has been or is close to being compromised.

I mean, sooner or later if you plan on keeping these boats for the long term, the tanks gonna need to be replaced. I figure if I do it right the first time I won't have to worry about this for a LONG time. I've had a bunch of guys come back and look at it who've been around building and replacing boats for the majority of their lives. They all seem to agree that the tank isn't going "to rid itself" of all that crap even if it isn't compromised. If I do all the work myself I don't think it'll cost me more thank 3k with materials. That's 2-3 fishing days that I've missed each year. Believe me, I don't really want to open her up but it seems like the only solution at this point.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast

Got it. That is a lot of crud to last that long in there.

Here is a thread on reinstalling a 23 console which includes removal. Hope it helps.

http://www.redregulator.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3300
Old 01-12-2018, 01:45 PM
Enthusiast

Wow!! This is the first regulator tank Iíve seen needing replacing. With that said, I have noticed water sitting on top of the foam going around my fuel tank. Keep us updated with progress
Old 01-12-2018, 01:56 PM

I appreciate the help fellas. I'll be sure to take a lot of pics and update when I can. Its pretty crazy I can't find anything online about someone actually replacing one. Waiting to hear back from Al regarding how I should go about making the cuts through the front lip the console sits on. To be honest there's a lot less cutting of rigid deck than I thought. Most of the t top screws are out. A few of them are a little stuck. Gonna hit them with a touch of pb.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:43 PM

Couple of updates. I got the console and t top off/derigged. We used "debond" and stout putty knife to break the seal as mush as we could both inside and out of the console. After working the knife/debond for a day or two we began to bottle jack the rear of it via the t top pipe hole and it came up pretty easy.

I'm almost finished with the cut as I ran out of time today to take care of some family matters. I assumed the most stressful part of this project would be measuring and cutting tight to the fuel bulkhead. The distance between the end of the tank and the bulkhead wall is rather tight, right around 3/4 of an inch. We started feeling the cut out with a long 1/8 drill bit, making sure it was sinking into foam. The front and rear aren't an issue as you can see where youre cutting up front on the step and the rear has about 14 1/2 inches to the back wall. The mounting brackets are flush to the wall. After some thought we decided to cut to a little under 1/2 inch from the wall and just cut the brackets off flush to the tank in order to remove it from the cut. I'll have the fabricator weld shorter brackets that I can work into the cut and shim the void with some synthetic block

As you can see we had to readjust our lines. We made the original measurements from the face of the step. Turns out the step edge goes up at an inside angle. I noticed it when looking at console in my garage. I thought I was seeing things, good thing we double checked our reference points with a square. It didn't stand out because of the quantity of sealant still on the edge. I'll take some more pics when we get the cut done tomorrow. If the cuts look a little off it's because the front is Chaulked above grade for support. We used a jig saw for the flat cuts and a sawzall for the face of the step.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1021.jpg (95.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1022.jpg (87.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1023.jpg (90.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1024.jpg (96.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1025.jpg (95.0 KB, 56 views)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:48 PM

I almost forgot, Al was a big help coming up with a few pics of the 23's grid before the deck got placed on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0989.jpg (20.2 KB, 49 views)
Old 02-18-2018, 12:20 PM

Finished the cut the other night and was very pleased to see how close we got to the bulkhead sides. We cut the mountinf flanges off and it looks like the tank is gonna squeeze out with minimal if any sanding to the perimeter.

What we found was pretty crazy. The foam was saturated with sea water and fuel. I used a wood hand saw and keyhole saw to cut out the larger portion of foam in the rear as well as running along the sides of the tank. We got around 4 gallons of water/fuel out of the bulkhead (picture of the clear container). I still have to cut out the foam from the front of the tank. We started running a wedge around the sides of the tank and were able to get it to shift a bit. And even got a little rear lift from a simple hoist.

Believe it or not the tank doesnt look that bad for sitting in that much liquid. Don't know what the bottom looks like yet but it was obviously running on borrowed time sitting in water/fuel. The foam hasn't been that tough to remove thus far and we'll see how difficult it is to "break the seal" so to speak. I'll keep updating as I go. The tank is giant for a 23. 184 gallons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1057.jpg (99.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1055.jpg (88.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1053.jpg (93.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1033.jpg (95.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 02-18-2018, 12:52 PM
Enthusiast

Default Fuel Tank

Mando,
Can you tell me where all the water intrusion was coming from? You said it is seawater how did it get there and how are you stopping from getting more? I have a 04 23 and have no issues but would like to avoid any future issues if need be.

Thanks

"Doubled Up"
2004 23 Classic
Twin F150's
Old 02-18-2018, 02:16 PM

Like every boat, I think the Achilles heel was the inspection plate above the sender. When I got the boat delivered I noticed the foul smell and assumed there was water trapped in the foam. Protection wise, new pie plate and then a small tackle station anchored to the leaning and post and 4200'd to the deck. I'll have two layers of protection in terms of water intrusion. I'll have a false floor inside the tackle station in case I need to access the sender or fuel line connections. I'm also going to place some sort of tubing towards the front of the bulkhead to pump out any water if by some crazy scenario it finds it way in. The new tank will have neoprene strips 5200'd to the bottom, blocked on the sides and then anchored with mounting flanges similar to what was there.