RedRegulatorForums  

Go Back   RedRegulatorForums > Model Specfic Tricks/Modifications

Old 09-18-2020, 11:44 AM

Default Soft spot in deck-need guidance

I have a 26’ 98 Classic and have developed a soft spot on the deck between the console and the leaning post/tackle station. It doesn’t feel like rot, more like fatigue. I am going to let my local marina handle the fix. What should I ask, watch out, or otherwise be aware of. They’re a reputable outfit, I just have no idea what a fix would involve. I’m also aware they may find stuff once they have the deck open. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:56 AM

My 94 23 had the same issue in the same spot, this was due to the pie inspection plate over the gas tank. Water had gotten in thru the pie plate and rotted the ply wood core in that area. Not sure the layout of the 26 or if there is hatch over the gas tank or the floor is solid across. Being it's a 98 the core will either be ply wood or end grain balsa and it's probably rotten. Methods to fix this are to cut top layer skin of the deck in that area, scrape out rotten wood, glue in new core and glass the skin back on. Problem with this is it's hard to match the original nonskid in the gel coat.
Or in my case was remove cc, remove hatch, cut skin from the bottom, remove wood, recore and reglass. Benefit is you keep the top original. Also makes a good time to look at the condition of the gas tank.

Post#9 shows pics how I did the recore on the hatch, added a little weight to the hatch in the end but it's rock solid and no more wood to rot.
http://www.redregulator.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5676

Hope in your case that it's not a rotten core. But I came to find in my boat all areas where the deck/core had something mounted with screws or pie plate cutout with exposed core all had rotten wood to some degree. Even places where the core was rotten the deck was still somewhat solid, glass is so thick in these old Regulators. Hope this helps, best of luck!
Old 09-22-2020, 10:11 PM
Enthusiast

Boat deck dont have fatigue.Either they hold weight or they dont. If they dont new floor under the deck gelcoat has to be installed .What Dan is saying is basicaly lift the hatch that has factory cutout in early model ( till 96-97 I think ). Post 97 that hatch is gone - you have to cut the floor. I cant sugarcoat it -its big and delicate job and has to be handled by somebody that knows what hes doing. Basicaly an owner nightmare .If your 98 doesnt have that factory cutout extreme precision of finding where to cut it so it doesnt touch the tank and doesnt cut into fuel cell stringer . Regulator customer service will give you instruction where to make that line to insert the blade.
To Dan - theres a third way to do it .You dont have to lift console and go super hard way. You cut right next to console ( half inch away ) - lift only that cut out part ,turn upside down,pry rotten staff blah-blah installing new wood or whatever you choose ).You only glass that cutout back. Root wont go that much forward since boat decks are pithed aft wise and healthy wood will most probably be under the console.
To OP- what to look for once boat has open heart surgery. Look at condition of your fuel tank sender,fuel tank pick up tubes, fuel tank nipples ,replace all of them since thats a perfect time,replace fuel line to motor,look at condition of your foam surrounding the tank-if its wet pry it all out -it will never dry otherwise and will speed up outside corrosion.
All this takes time ,hours and off course money but theres simply no other way around it.

Ralcpa- open your round inspection hatch and remove o ring and all the screws that hold it-take a screwdriver and push into the wood sandwiched between upper and lower gelcoat. If its like eaten away ,saturated , missing and screwdriver goes into it like butter you have to replace it.

Last edited by vze2gbs4; 09-22-2020 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:33 AM

Agree with vze, any way you look at it going to be open heart surgery.
There is a hack fix I did a few years back that bought me some time. Remove the pie plate, take a screw driver scrape out as much rotten wood as you can between the two layers of glass (mine was mush, so good amount came out pretty easy), get a can of Great Stuff and spray away. Put down some plastic over the gas tank the stuff will go everywhere. Cut excess reinstall pie plate and go fishing!

This is by no means a permanent fix, but it did stiffen up the deck significantly for about a year before I was ready to fix the correct way.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:08 PM

problem leaking from the rear Ttop support draining aft. Do it right and cut it gloss line to gloss line..Recore and make the gloss line an 1.5” wide. It’ll be solid and look like new.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:54 AM

Thanks to all for the info..