RedRegulatorForums  

Go Back   RedRegulatorForums > Electronics

Old 04-26-2016, 10:25 AM

Question Transom mount structure scan/chirp transducer placement

I recently pulled the trigger on a Simrad NSS12 Evo2 on my 23 Classic w/ single outboard. I didn't have it in the budget this year for thru hull transducers so I went with transom mount for both TM150 Chirp and StructureScan transducers.

I understand the basic places where I can not mount them such as behind the water pickup, behind a chine, and for a single engine should be on the starboard side. From what I've been reading the StructureScan should be as close to the centerline as possible. It's not feasible for a single outboard w/out a bracket. The install instructions mention any transducer needs to be at least 3" outside of the prop's path and at least 12" from any other transducer. There was an old transducer mounted within the props path that never cause any issues. It's about the same size as the TM150.

Could I put the new TM150 transducer in that same location and mount the SS 12" starboard to it or closer? With the deep V would I be loosing a lot of side scan performance?

I only haul it out at the end of the season with a bunk trailer so I'm not to concerned about placement in regards to the bunk. I also plan on mounting them on stern savers so I can adjust the heights if needed.

If anyone has photos they can share it would be greatly appreciated. I'll do the same when I finish up.

Thanks Guys,
James
Old 03-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast

Soooo - where did you mount it?
Old 08-08-2018, 09:30 PM
Enthusiast

^^^
how is it working?