RedRegulatorForums  

Go Back   RedRegulatorForums > 24 Degree Club

Old 07-21-2018, 09:14 PM

Default 26 reg vs 26 southport

Iíll be in the market next year for my first boat of my own. Iíve been set on a 26 classic for quite some time now but recently the 26 southport has gotten some attention in my area (va beach). Have any of you had experience on both rigs and able to provide some pros/cons on each? The SP owners seem to be very proud of there rigs and think of a regulator in the same class of a sea hunt, hydra sports...etc.
The 26 has been a dream for quite some time now and now that Iím getting close itís time to do my due dilligance. Iíll be outfitting the rig with a Cobia tower. Mainly inshore Fishing but want to maintain the capability to run to the canyons when the weather allows.

Thanks in advance for any shared experiences.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:07 AM
Enthusiast

Same class as seahunt and hydra sport? Not sure on that one but if youíve always wanted a Reg 26 then that would be enough for me to go that way over Southport just so you could ride in circles around them on the way home when it gets crappy!
87 25 C-Hawk
100 Ton Masters '02
Old 07-22-2018, 07:20 AM
Enthusiast

Google Southport 26 or go to thehulltruth.com and you will see some similar articles on just this question, there both fine boats
87 25 C-Hawk
100 Ton Masters '02
Old 07-22-2018, 07:40 AM
Enthusiast

Both are very good, upper tier boats. I have never fished a Southport so I can't truly compare it to the Reg, but I have heard good things. I'd go with the Reg for sure.

Depending on your budget the Onslow Bay 27 would be worth a look too, assuming you could find one.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:40 AM

Southport was started by a former Grady White guy. They almost went belly-up in 2009, but instead sold out to AGYG, a large dealer/broker. They didn't start using an upper tier layup schedule in their boat building until 2011, when they moved their operation from NC to Maine. That's when they adopted the use of vinylester resin. They were just purchased by a holding company called Tuxedo Yachts in late 2017, which is kind of a stupid name, but I digress. They're trying to double their production this year, which sounds like something you hear when moneyed interests are taking over.

I like Regulator's company stability and legacy quite a bit better. It's a much more compelling story -- organic growth of a family business while always offering a premium product.

As for the boat, SP's have a shallower deadrise (22 degrees vs. 24 on the Reg) and are generally wider at equivalent lengths. I think they get better fuel economy, which isn't surprising given that it's a lighter hull with a shallower keel. Like Grady Whites, they are more in the family friendly cruising side of things.

A 26 Reg feels much bigger, although it has less beam. This is because of the bracket which actually makes it closer to a 30 ft. boat. The SP 26 is 26 with no bracket, so that eats into the cockpit room.

They are both solid, top tier boats, but I give the nod to the Reg because I like to fish as much as I like family time, which suits the Reg. When the weather is rough I'd much rather have the weight and deadrise of the Reg.

Last edited by Warren G.; 07-24-2018 at 11:46 AM.