RedRegulatorForums  

Go Back   RedRegulatorForums > 24 Degree Club

Old 12-16-2020, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast

Default 34 with triples List to Port when running

I sea trialed a 34SS with triple 300 Yamaha's, I have a 26 with 250 yamaha's and am very familiar with how that boat rides. I have been looking to upgrade to a 34, so sea trialed this boat. The boat ran well enough, but it had a slight list to port when you were running, that sort of came and went, irrespective of where people were standing (4 of us on the boat). If you ran the tabs down, to see how it would do in a heavier sea, the boat developed an extreme list to port, and you basically had to counter steer to keep going straight. The tabs both work fine as far as we can tell when it is out of the water, appear to be even both up and in full down.

So the questions is, for those of you that have a 34 with triples, is this something that you have seen as well, or is this a unique issue to this particular boat?
Old 12-17-2020, 09:44 AM
Enthusiast

Stuck tab?
Old 12-17-2020, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast

Hmmm-sounds wierd to list to port-Regulators usually they list to starboard with all rigging to that side-is middle motor counter rotating -that would make it 2 motors pulling it left .Check that and condition of tabs mentioned in previous post.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. Tabs seem to be fine, both retract fully and extend fully at rest. Has anyone had a Lenco fail to extend under load?

In terms of Weight distribution, 34 SS has the four batteries tucked under the deck along the port side, with the extended console and the A/C and refrigerator over on the starboard side to balance. Boat at rest seems pretty level, maybe a slight port side list, but very slight.

So still trying to figure out why the list is so extreme under full tab.

Last edited by Rich53; 12-17-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:23 PM

Sorry for the tardy reply, not on this site very often.
I've got a 34SS with trips and have never experienced this list to port.
Water and fuel tanks are on the centerline, so that's not the issue.
More seating, along with the fridge, sink and head on the starboard side - but that's offset by the 4 batteries on the port side under the cabin stairs.....

Unless there was a TON of tackle in the forward port seating it's almost got to be the trim tabs. One other thought, were all engines trimmed the same?

AWESOME boat!
Old 01-02-2021, 02:06 PM
Enthusiast

Henry, thanks for the reply. The behavior was with full tab at speed, the surveyor wanted to see how the boat did, from talking to people who have represented Regulator’s for many years, that really isn’t something to do, the tabs are big enough to drive the bow down at slower speeds, where you would run when it is rough, so overpower it at high speed. Once we stopped doing that the boat ran great, and we are now under contract.

From what I have been reading there is a certain amount of port list on triple engine boats, you have two rotating clockwise and one counter rotating anti clockwise, so the two balance out like with twins but the third centerline engine does impart a torque. Didn’t notice it much, but the boat did like a little bit of port tab down (starboard switch). I have a friend with a 41 Bahama with triples, he told me it is talked about a lot on their forums, he doesn’t use tab he just trims the starboard side motor up more, feels that that balances it better, more efficiently, than tab.

I guess an argument for quads!

Let me know if you have ever noticed any of that, and any suggestions you have about the boat. I have had my 26 for 8 years, going to keep that as well, it works really well for us up north, down south where in the winter the wind blows from the east at 20 every day and the seas on a calm day are 4-6, we felt like we needed more boat. And I have always wanted one.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:26 PM

I had a 2016 34 cc with trips that had a very slight list to port when running. It never was enough to bother me and kind of forgot about it. I always figured it was from all of the booze and ice in the portside transom box.

Always required a notch or 2 more tab on that side to even out while running. That boat is a beast and wish I still had it.

Last edited by lilmisscalculation; 01-05-2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:16 PM
Enthusiast

Yep, that is what I am seeing. Needs a little more tab on that side. Seems to be there sometimes, sometimes not, but I have only run the boat on two sea trials, should close later this week, then I will be able to run it a lot more and experiment. Really feels like a much bigger and heavier version of my 26.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:23 PM

Must be something in the water... Iím planning to close on a 34 FS Monday. Canít wait - awesome boat from what I can tell. Sold my 29 FS today and that seems like big shoes to fill... weíll see in a matter of a few days! Iíll look for the port list on sea trial Monday!
2014 Regulator 23 FS/Yamaha 300
Old 01-10-2021, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast

Jeff, enjoy, we closed on Friday, enjoyed running it over the weekend. But it definitely needs about half tab on the port side to make it run level, interestingly it tends to run a lot faster that way as well. Ours is an SS, so the batteries are all on the port side, supposed to offset the weight of the A/C and the refrigerator on the starboard side, but perhaps they over did it. We were out in the ocean today, ran out Jupiter Inlet (saw that is your neck of the woods) running 30 knots, great ride, my 26 was great as well, but we would have been running 25 at most, and moving around a lot more. And it is just as dry as my 26 was, which is to say really dry.