RedRegulatorForums  

Go Back   RedRegulatorForums > Electronics

Old 08-29-2018, 10:04 PM
Enthusiast

Default Chart download Raymarine

Sort of a noob question, but need to ask. I finally bought a Raymarine MFD C series to replace an old Northstar plotter (952x) and question is around charts/upload.

I am downloading Raster charts of the east coast and putting them on a micro SD card to run on the plotter.

I thought when Ray said it had base maps it meant it had charts but instead it's a simple outline of land with no contours or depths/ markers.

Turns out that I had to buy this chart for $10 and renew it every year or buy Navionics charts for $98 and renew that every year.

Does this sound right, what do ppl do here depending on the hardware that you have purchased.

Thanks as always!
D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lighthouse-Man.jpg (85.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-30-2018, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast

So i got the charts in the plotter and was expecting higher definition. The C series and the E series use the same method of procedure for putting charts into SD slot.

What did other Raymarine users use in there plotters? Navionics, Light House, Jeppeson? or good ol fashioned NOAA ENC charts.

Huh, is this an disadvantage to Garmin? Or same deal?

D
Old 09-05-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualie View Post
So i got the charts in the plotter and was expecting higher definition. The C series and the E series use the same method of procedure for putting charts into SD slot.

What did other Raymarine users use in there plotters? Navionics, Light House, Jeppeson? or good ol fashioned NOAA ENC charts.

Huh, is this an disadvantage to Garmin? Or same deal?

D
Iíve had a Raymarine C80 on my prev boat and at the time (the 2000ís) it was the best in the market. Now i have one on my 23 Reg both a C80 (as a backup because it came w the boat) and a Garmin 5212. True i had to buy a navionics card for the Raymarine otherwise its a useless piece of technology without a nav card - and expensive at that. With that even the Navionics card is crap vs the Garmin.
I would stick w Garmin maps are so much better and i believe its standard in all their units. I tried navigating the Navionics web site to true to upgrade the Raymarine card but its a horrible experience cant find what you think you need.
Anyone want to buy a used C80?
Old 09-05-2018, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbreeze View Post
Iíve had a Raymarine C80 on my prev boat and at the time (the 2000ís) it was the best in the market. Now i have one on my 23 Reg both a C80 (as a backup because it came w the boat) and a Garmin 5212. True i had to buy a navionics card for the Raymarine otherwise its a useless piece of technology without a nav card - and expensive at that. With that even the Navionics card is crap vs the Garmin.
I would stick w Garmin maps are so much better and i believe its standard in all their units. I tried navigating the Navionics web site to true to upgrade the Raymarine card but its a horrible experience cant find what you think you need.
Anyone want to buy a used C80?
Thanks JBreeze. Appreciate the feedback. Will try the Navionics download next, some color separation would be nice to have but will cost me $98! Also, the Nav card should show me tides. My current Light House does not.
Yep. Raymarines chart download area is antiquated.

Other then the maps & touch screen, other head units were about the same in my opinion for features and cost for a 9inch.

So far, its been a full week of of using it, I am starting to figure it out. It's got a wifi option. I can use my iphone to manipulate the screen and mirror it to another larger tablet. That's pretty cool.

600 watt ducer is producing clear results so far and holding bottom pretty well.

Garmin used to let you do this and looks like they no longer support this with the newer units. Called the "Helm" in the app store.

Will peek at the Garmin setup as I am still in the return window. But so far the honeymoon is still on.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

So we have he GS displays and we have all of the Lighthouse Raster and vector charts, as well as the navionics platinum charts.

http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=11482

Make sure that you are also using the most recent version of the lighthouse operating system. Raymarine has some of the best charting option out there....between the vector and raster charts I find not real need for anything beyond what I have with the navionics platinum.
Manasquan, NJ
james@chompersfishing.com
https://www.facebook.com/Chompersfishing

Raymarine Pro Ambassador
Phenix Rods - ProStaff
Sterling Tackle - ProStaff
Old 09-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Northern Ivy,
I just ordered the Nav chip for Regions East. Will get it in the MDF by thursday. Fingers crosses that it's better then the Raster Charts.

Apparently it has this thing called "community edits" where it will add contours from the community. Right now, I just want cleaner contours and some color differentiation.

I am running the latest version of OS of Light House II version 19.03.

It's my understanding that the Axiom / Axiom Pro can only run Lighthouse III and the C series and eS will never see it.

Do you have any idea how long Raymarine will keep Light House II Operating System going before they consider it End of Life/End of support?

Thanks D
Old 09-24-2018, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast

Sounds like you are on the right path...when you get the chip make sure that you have go through the layers and presentation menus to customize what you are seeing how much detail and the color shading.

You are correct you can turn on an off sonar charts live which will draw new contours as you move your boat, and as you said you can download other peoples sonar chart live soundings once they have been processed by Navionics.

As far as end of life, I would not even worry about that at this point, as LH3 was just released, and there is a ton of LH2 software in the field.
Manasquan, NJ
james@chompersfishing.com
https://www.facebook.com/Chompersfishing

Raymarine Pro Ambassador
Phenix Rods - ProStaff
Sterling Tackle - ProStaff
Old 09-28-2018, 09:48 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Northen Ivy. Appreciate the response.

I absolutely love the navionics east region card. Demonstrates 1' contours, colors are bright and easily seen vs the raster charts.

I found it online for $129.00 and updates for 12 months for free.

Completely worth it imo.

D